Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Ball toss for engaging in group activity --Sue Bank

Using a ball toss with a few students provides movement when eliciting responses as a group.  This method allows for turn-taking and teamwork.  It can be used with students of all ages.

For example, when teaching a problem-solving process I like to have my high school students come up with a problem in need of solving.  Rather than asking individuals to answer, we start with a prompt such as "One day when I was in (name a place), I realized that I didn't have my (name something I needed) and that if I showed up without it, I would (name a consequence)."

Each time someone answers, they would toss the ball to another participant for the next answer.  Everyone has ownership of the activity and all are engaged in movement while processing thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment