Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mat Man

I use Handwriting without Tears with my preschoolers (and my own kids for that matter) and my favorite part of that program is Mat Man.  I love that there is a song that goes with Mat Man.   Handwriting without tears is a multisensory based program that teaches children handwriting.  It starts with pre-writing skills.  Mat Man helps kids not only learn how to draw a person but also helps them recognize body parts.

This is to the tune of "The Bear Went over The Mountain"

Mat Man has one head one head one head, Mat Man has one head, so that he can think


Mat Man has 2 eyes, 2 eyes, 2 eyes, Mat Man has 2 eyes so that he can see


Mat Man has 1 nose, 1 nose, 1 nose, Mat Man has 1 nose so that he can smell


Mat Man has 1 mouth, 1 mouth, 1 mouth, Mat Man has 1 mouth so that he can eat


Mat Man has 2 ears, 2 ears, 2 ears, Mat Man has 2 ears so that he can hear


Mat Man has 1 body, 1 body, 1 body, Mat Man has 1 body to hold what is inside


Mat Man has 2 arms, 2 arms, 2 arms, Mat Man has 2 arms so that he can reach
Mat Man has 2 hands, 2 hands, 2 hands, Mat Man has 2 hands so that he can clap


Mat man has 2 legs, 2 legs, 2 legs, Mat man has 2 legs so that he can stand
Mat Man has 2 feet, 2 feet, 2 feet, Mat Man has 2 feet so that he can walk

After building Mat Man, I ask my students to draw him.  I love it when I hear them singing Mat Man as they draw him!

No comments:

Post a Comment