Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Combining Art, Music, and Movement

This is likely an activity that is geared more towards the preschool age student or early elementary student.  However I suppose that variations could be made to use it with older students.

I love this activity to combines art, music, and movement.  It is a musical chairs game with the use of art. This a great way to not only teach students about different art concepts such as texture and concept but also allow students to move and burn some energy!  This version does not eliminate a player, which is great for allowing students to work together as a team.

During the winter months I love to pull several students together for a social skills group to build Frosty the Snowman.  I hand out the parts of Frosty and we sing a song to build Frosty.  If you are familiar with the song Mat Man (to the tune of the bear went over the Mountain), I typically sing the song as "Frosty has one nose, one nose, one nose, Frosty has one nose so that he can freeze".  I end every verse with so that he can freeze.  I hand out the parts of Frosty to different students.  As they build Frosty, they need to request the items from another student.  It allows them to work together and they often love singing the song.


No comments:

Post a Comment