Sunday, November 17, 2013

Visual Cue Chart for Listening Skills

When I taught in an Autistic Support classroom I used a listening poster.  I reproduced a poster that I found on this website.  The below picture is the poster that she used.



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhkYdLQNKbvyN7jycoKN6G3NYL-6_tqeR5_DMlYPRAnpnTZjnbLMOJAXyARJXKbJTvwy3ZYxgz4gjx6M5m1DG9qt-knNGyGO06DDsY4xDnEEJZeOb2mUiXbZ24fMnP6fO_xAhjtyKkoKw-3/s1600/CIMG0401.JPG

 I created my own version with velcro pull off signs.  I also made a most later using a picture of one of my student's showing me good listening posture.  I have suggested posters like this for some of the preschool classrooms that I visit.  Simply having the poster in the classroom though is not adequate, it is also the practice behind it.

Every morning during circle time my Autistic support classroom would practice one of the steps to better listening.  Sometimes we would practice two.  I started out the process by role playing the proper way to sit, or raise your hand, or where to keep your hands and then I would ask them to show me.

I included this poster in both the categories of movement and visual input because the role modeling and pulling off or putting on the poster components often added some extra movement to our circle time.  Role modeling often provides both visual and physical input to learning a skill.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment