Monday, November 18, 2013

Mr. Paul Eugene

I always loved building in movement breaks into my classroom and when my school invested in Promethean boards it opened up a huge opportunity for me to use You tube videos.  I loved to supplement science topics with a quick You Tube video.  I then discovered the wonders of Mr. Paul Eugene for movement breaks.

My students had this fascination with Mr. Paul Eugene and I was not sure why, actually I still am not sure why.  I thought maybe it was unique to students on the autism spectrum and then I tried it at home with my own overly energetic child.  She has always been a child that comes home needing to expend that extra energy at some point.  So one day I popped up Mr. Paul Eugene on You Tube and she was also fixated.  It offered a quick 10 minutes for her to expend some energy and it also made her feel like she was getting that ever important "screen time" that every modern kid thinks they are entitled to receiving.

And so I present you with Mr. Paul Eugene.


I often used this after lunch and prior to an extended period of time that students needed to sit.  I often built in movement breaks into my classroom every 20- 30 minutes.

Adding movement into your routine can be fairly simple- the following are a few examples
Chairs needed to be carried over to their desks in the morning, move to centers by jumping, hopping, taking long steps, add some stretches and jumping jacks to circle time, attaches some words for the day to movement (when you hear me say "apple"- jump up).

No comments:

Post a Comment